How many of us neglect our neck and chest when doing skincare routines? We’ve been there, but taking care of the skin on this delicate part of our bodies is vital to our overall skin health. Our neck, chest, and hands are some of the first indicators of aging in the skin, and disregarding these areas can lead to premature aging, fine lines and wrinkles, and sagging skin. Let’s get into why having a consistent skincare routine for your neck and chest is so important and how to build the right routine for your skin.
Understanding the Vulnerability of the Neck and Chest:
The skin on our neck and chest is thinner than on the face, making it more susceptible to damage from sun exposure, pollution, and other environmental stressors. The neck contains fewer oil glands, which can cause skin dehydration, while the chest is susceptible to damage from the friction of clothing. This is why having a routine for these sensitive areas is so important to keep them as healthy as possible.
The Importance of Sun Protection:
Sun exposure is one of the main factors in aging in the neck and chest. It’s easy to overlook these regions when applying sunscreen, which can cause hyperpigmentation and the depletion of Collagen. Sunscreen should be applied everywhere, worn 365 days a year, including your neck and chest.
We’re not saying that you should go out and buy an entirely new skincare regimen for your neck and chest, but bringing your skincare products down past your face as well. Stripped Back Skincare is about using a minimal, simple routine that works for your skin.
Extending Your Skincare Routine:
To keep your neck and chest looking healthy and glowing, it’s crucial to extend your skincare routine past your face all the way down to your chest. In most cases, you can stick to the same simple routine you use for your face, including exfoliants and retinoids. Here are some steps we recommend to maintain the skin health of your neck and chest.
- Cleansing: Gently cleanse your neck and chest with a sensitive, skin-friendly cleanser to remove dirt, oil, and pollutants.
- Exfoliation: Exfoliation helps to rid your skin of dead skin cells while promoting cell turnover. Exfoliate 1-3 times per week, depending on your skin’s sensitivity. We recommend an AHA exfoliant like our Flower Hour Toner, as AHAs are known to be the gentlest of the exfoliants, especially Lactic Acid, which doubles as a humectant.
- Hydration: Apply a gentle, lightweight moisturizer to keep the skin on your neck and chest hydrated. Humectants like Hyaluronic Acid and Glycerin work to plump up the skin and keep fine lines from forming. A hydrating serum underneath your moisturizer will keep this area smooth and soft.
- Sunscreen: Always apply sunscreen with at least SPF 30 to your neck and chest, and remember to reapply every two hours when exposed to the sun. UV Rays cause significant damage to the skin. Melanin, the pigment in our skin, protects the skin from these rays, and without SPF, these rays can burn the skin and reduce its elasticity. This results in premature aging.
- Healthy Aging Products: “Anti-aging” products containing ingredients like Retinol, Peptides, and Antioxidants are not necessary but can help prevent and tackle skin issues like fine lines and wrinkles. These products are great for preventing premature aging and are loaded with vitamins, antioxidants, and other factors that help preserve a healthy skin barrier.
Having a consistent routine for your face, neck, and chest is essential in maintaining healthy skin. These delicate areas of our skin can often show signs of aging before any other area, so taking regular care of them and addressing skin concerns is vital for your healthiest, most radiant skin.