Hydration is key when maintaining a healthy, functioning skin barrier. Regardless of skin type, your skin can become dehydrated due to improper hydration, environmental conditions, and overly drying skincare products. We're getting into how to keep your skin healthy and hydrated, why the skin barrier matters, and our favorite hydrating skincare ingredients.
Why Every Skin Type Needs Hydration
Hydration is a process that replenishes and maintains your skin's moisture levels. It's a common belief that only dry or dehydrated skin needs to incorporate hydrating products, but they are beneficial and necessary for a healthy skin barrier. It might sound strange, but oily skin can become dehydrated if your hydration level becomes imbalanced. While oily, dry, or combination skin is a skin type, skin dehydration is actually a skin condition that can be treated. Keeping your skin hydrated can address common skin concerns like texture, dullness, flakiness, and sensitivity. When your skin isn't getting the moisture it needs, it can produce more oils, leading to breakouts and other skin concerns.
Hydration and Aging:
As our skin ages, its ability to retain moisture lessens, leading to Transepidermal Water Loss (TEWL). Hydrating your skin can help keep premature fine lines and wrinkles from forming and keep your skin plump and supple.
The Significance of the Skin Barrier:
Commonly referred to as the skin barrier, the Stratum Corneum is the outermost layer of our skin. This layer is our ski's protective shield, fighting against water loss and environmental stressors like UV rays and pollution. Proper hydration allows the skin barrier to stay strong and resilient against skin damage.
Key Ingredients to Look for in Hydrating Products:
- Hyaluronic Acid: One of our favorite and most commonly known humectants, Hyaluronic Acid, can hold up to 1000 times its weight in water. This hydration superstar gives a plumping, smoothing effect on the skin for both immediate and long-term benefits. You can find Hyaluronic Acid in our Fountain of Youth Serum.
- Glycerin: Glycerin is the second powerful humectant in Fountain of Youth. Glycerin is known to be one of the most effective hydrators on the market and an optimal choice for those with dry or dehydrated skin.
- Ceramides: Naturally occurring lipids in the skin, ceramides strengthen the skin barrier, helping it retain moisture and defend against external irritants.
- Aloe Vera: Aloe is another popular soothing, hydrating ingredient. Those with skin irritation or inflammation can find relief in this skin-soother. You can find Aloe in our gentle, exfoliating Flower Hour Toner.
- Niacinamide: Besides numerous other benefits, niacinamide helps improve the skin's barrier function and moisture retention. Niacinamide can be found in several of our skincare products, like Cosmo Clay Mask and Fountain of Youth Serum.
- Squalane: A lightweight oil that closely resembles the skin's natural sebum, Squalane helps lock in moisture without clogging pores. Our Glow-to Oil is made up of 90% Squalane and was made with our oily skin friends in mind. It might sound counterintuitive to put a facial oil on oily skin, but Squalane helps to balance and moisturize the skin without the usual heaviness and comedogenic nature of many oils.
Humectants are a must for keeping a healthy and hydrated skin barrier intact. Incorporating a hydrating product into your skincare routine can reduce the signs of premature aging, lessen irritation and redness, and keep your skin balanced overall.